Being Scolded for Communication
When your dog growls, snarls, or barks, he or she is trying to tell you something. However, dogs are routinely scolded for engaging in these important behaviors. By silencing your dog, you are creating the potential for a bite or attack that occurs without warning. Common times dogs are scolded for growling include:
- Warning other dogs to respect boundaries
- Warning humans to respect boundaries
- Warning children to respect boundaries
- When woken from a deep sleep
- When forced to meet new dogs or animals
Always recognize that your dog is trying to communicate when growling, and respect that your dog needs space.